I realized that with all of the hub-ub ( is that a word??) around here, I haven't been thrifting in a loooong time.... at least 2 weeks! I was feeling the draw of the musty smelling shops. I have these 2 small shops that I am in love with. They are tiny, locally owned and run...mostly by older ladies who love to "throw stuff in" for free.
You know I *LOVE* that!
For the most part, I enjoy thrifting. I like to find the small, out of the way shops... where I like to imagine I am the only one who knows about this shop! :0)
Believe it or not, there are a few things I DON'T like about thrifting...
1. When you go on the same day as the rest of the bargain hunters, you fight for space in the isle. I try not look rude when I barrel around the older, overall wearing man looking at tools...(he's deciding if $2.50 is too much to pay for a belt sander...???)
2. It's HOT and SWEATY because most thrift shops are on a tight budget...they like to torment me with oscillating fans and huge wind blowers that take my breath away. Blowing around all of the hot body odor.... nice.
3. I feel like I need to bathe after thrifting... so much dirt, so little space... sometimes gives me the heebie jeebies.
4. My 4 year old son must be pacified while thrifting...so we have a HUGE toy box FULL of 10 cent toys that are either straight out of a Happy Meal or a broken toy that some other mom MADE her kid donate...I think I have all of their discards. We have like 12 broken Buzz Lightyears and probably 23 robotic/transformer/futuristic action figures...that are missing at least an arm or leg.
5. Sometimes the shop owner REALLLLY likes their merchandise, and items are NOT THRIFTY at ALL!
Okay, enough complaining. I actually did have a good time thrifting... :0)
Here are the very nice and very lovely items I came home with...
A sweet happy couple
Lots of my favorites...
Vintage music featuring "Embellishments"....
baby rick rack
vintage satin ribbons on spools...
pretty pink embossed cards and vintage laces and trims!
I just LOVE these colors SOOO much, I can't resist!!